Sunday, October 25, 2009

Updates of my life

Well enough of the emotional nonsense which I'm sure most of you don't even want to read about. Now the real stuff about my recent adventure in London.

The School of pharmacy lectures are getting much demanding now. It's not because you cant catch the British ascent but just that you have forgotten everything that you have previously learnt during A level. I have at least 10 hrs lecture per weeks, 3-6 hrs practicals weekly and this has not include all those pharmacy visiting, patient interviewing, academic tutor meeting and other stuff. But most of the lectures are interesting at least for me.

Extracurricular activities have taken lots of my time. From my previous post, I've mentioned that I joined a few clubs and societies at ULU (University of London Student Union). Something worth mentioning is the Shaolin Kungfu Club which have training for 3 hrs for 2 days in a week. Crazy you might say? So why do I joined this time consuming club? Self defense is something that interest me since primary school and I had always wanted to joined one. Therefore it's almost like dream come true.

Shaolin kungfu or more specifically Nam Pai Quan is quite demanding for someone who have not done any self defence in his life before like me. Side kick, front kick, jump kick, punch, blocks and etc are all new to me. A friend of mine advise me not to join self defense as I might get hurt. And ya, I was hurt on my fingers and muscle pain all over the body. For the previous training session, we formed a circle and instead of passing a baton around, we passed punch/kick while blocking punch/kick from someone beside you. The difficult part is when 4 punch is passing around in the circle at the same time. So to avoid being punched or kicked, you have to be alert and react fast. Are your partner punching or kicking? And how to block it? The worst thing that happen to me is the guy next to me is punching and kicking with full strength. What's his problem? Trying to kill me? I really have no idea. So that's how I ended up with mild injury on my thumb and finger. Haiz... But I will continue my lessons.

WHY?

As an international students in a foreign land, I feel very unsecured and less confident of myself. I hope that through learning martial arts, I can build up my confidence and feel more secured. I don't expect myself to fight any evil I face in London. (Watched too much Charmed online. For those who don't know what's Charmed, shame on you haha... wikipedia search Charmed, watch some episodes online and be indulged in the magical world.) But at least I know my option when I face with real troublesome situation. Won't you rather get hurt while learning self defence than getting your life in danger in the real world? I want to give myself options if I ever encounter with life threatening situations in the future. So friends in Malaysia, beware. Don't piss me off when I return to Malaysia, you might get a black eye or worse broken bones from me if you are not careful. Haha just joking as if I will hurt my friends.

I miss guzheng a lot and I have done some research online, trying to find a decent guzheng teacher and also a guzheng. As sending my guzheng from Kuching is very costly, I'm considering the option to buy one here either through online or from some shops. Hopefully I will find my new soul mate soon, and by soul mate I mean my new guzheng. Don't have awkward thoughts.

That's all from me here in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment